Market Scanning for Hot Stocks
Stockscores Foundation for the week ending October 8, 2018
In this week's issue:
In this week's issue:
- Stockscores’ Market Minutes Video – Rates Up Stocks Down
- Stockscores Trader Training – Market Scanning for Hot Stocks
- Stock Features of the Week – Abnormal Breaks
Stockscores Market Minutes – Trade Human Emotion
Stocks sold off last week and rising interest rates got most of the blame. This week, I explain why that happens and then provide my weekly market analysis and a look at the trade of the week on PTIE.
To get instant updates when I upload a new video, subscribe to the Stockscores Youtube Channel
Stockscores Trader Training – Market Scanning for Hot Stocks
Stocks that are in play, those that have the story to capture buyer interest and enjoy market beating trends, leave clues. The outperformance of these stocks is driven by new information that gets the buyers excited and willing to pay higher prices, pushing these stocks in to market beating upward trends. Whether you like to trade large cap, well established companies or penny stocks, the signals from the market are the same.
The process to find them is very simple if you have the right tools. The Stockscores Market scan and an hour of your time at the start of the trading day will allow you to search all North American markets for the markers that telegraph a stock's future out performance. Before I explain what to look for, let me provide some insight in to the theory behind the trading concept.
Stocks that go on the steep upward trends that we all love to own do so because there is significant fundamental change in the company. Actually, to be more accurate, I should say that there is a perception of significant fundamental change. What is actually happening is not as important as what investors perceive to be happening. Sometimes stocks move simply because investors renew their interest in a good company.
These stocks move because of new information. A pharmaceutical company may have a new drug that is showing positive effects in testing. A mining company may be on the verge of a major discovery or a retailer may be enjoying great earnings because consumers love their products. Ultimately, it is about an improved potential to make money in the future.
The question you must ask is, "Do all investors get the new information at the same time?"
The answer, of course, is no. Every stock has investors who follow the company very closely and know more about what the company is doing than anyone else. These investors have an advantage over other investors because they can uncover new information earlier.
When they do find out something significant, they act. If the new information is positive, they buy the stock aggressively, causing the stock to move up in price and trade more volume than normal. Those are the signs that we want to look for.
Most of this abnormal market activity starts during the first hour of the trading so the trader who can dedicate that time to trading can uncover around 80% of the good entry signals that come through the trading day. If you have all day then you can find the other 20% of the opportunities as well.
The Stockscores Market Scan tool allows you to scan all of the North American markets for stocks that meet a variety of criteria. There are many ways to set up the tool to look for stocks that are "in play" but here are some simple settings to apply in the first hour:
Exchange - I like to scan the Canadian exchanges separately from the US exchanges because the Canadian market is less liquid, requiring a lower liquidity threshold which I will explain in a moment. So, set this filter to either All Canadian or All American.
Gain/Loss - set this to > 3% over the past 1 days. This will find the stocks that are moving up.
15 day Resistance - set this to breakout, doing this will help you avoid the stocks that are stuck in trading ranges and unlikely to make a lasting upward trend.
Volume Relative to 20 Day Average - set this to Above.
Number of Trades - this is the liquidity requirement, to trade we need stocks that are active enough to get in and out easily. Set this to > 200 for the Canadian exchange or > 1000 for the US.
You can start to run this scan about half an hour after the market opens. When inspecting the charts, look at both the daily and the intraday 15 minute chart. You want to focus on stocks that are starting moves out of low price volatility and with market activity that really stands out relative to how the stock normally trades.
Back To Top
Ran the Abnormal Breaks scan after the Monday close, here are two stocks that have promising charts:
PEIX is breaking its long term downward trend with abnormal price and volume activity. Support at $1.94.
Back To Top
BDSI is breaking out of a cup and handle pattern with strong price and volume action today. Support at $2.99.
Back To Top